Well, the last week or so hasn’t been that great..
I’m usually very easy going and laid back, but over the last couple of weeks some personal things have been happening and they’ve contributed to me having a very short fuse… not good! That doesn’t excuse eating badly, that’s completely down to me – it’s very easy to get back to old habits I guess.
So, what were the bad choices?
- My husband got a new work contract, so we went to celebrate and you know. One glass of wine turns to two, which turns to three… which turns to bad dinner choices (pork belly to be precise)
- Indian lunch over the weekend (at the best Indian restaurant in Wellington, may I add) – they are smaller portions than dinner – but still, it wasn’t needed.
- Went for lunch yesterday wth some good friends, and the menu had scampi!(which I have never seen in NZ before and haven’t had in over four years) – so yeah, that was a bad choice too.
Ok, so whats been good?
- I’ve had healthy, home made, slow releasing energy granola bars for breakfasts.
- Salads for lunches as normal.
- I still lost weight, not a lot! But something (.4kgs, which makes it 3.2kgs now)
- I’m walking a little more (still not anywhere near enough)
I’m going to pretend the last few days didn’t happen. Today, I am feeling confident and focussed so I am sure this was a little blip and not something that is going to set me back.
My not so great week in some pictures:
Well, I’m going into my second full week of making better choices and surprisingly (and unusually), I am still 100% motivated…
I’ve eaten <1600 calories everyday (apart from Saturday – we were out but I didn’t drink or eat too much). I’ve exercised a little more than usual by walking up stairs instead of taking the lift or taking the dog on longer walks – Yes, i know, I still need more and I will work on that.
My weight-loss this week: <1.6kgs
I had a bit of a depressing moment yesterday. Usually I lose 2-3kgs in any first week of a diet, and last week I only lost 1.6kgs. So I was a little upset about that. BUT…. my husband made me feel better by:
- Reminding me that this isn’t a diet – it’s a lifestyle change. I’m not limiting myself to 1200calories a day this time. I’ve cut down on calorie intake but this is more about putting the right food into my body.
- Making me hold our two Ipads (469g each) and telling me I had lost just under 4 of those in weight. Wow! that really put it into perspective for me – that’s pretty hefty!
My take on my first full week?
- Thinking differently about the weight I have lost is a must. I need to realise that small amounts are ok and I need to actually understand what that means.
- Having watched ‘that sugar film’ – I need to alter the types of sugar I eat. I’m not going cold turkey, that would be silly. Little steps include not taking sugar in coffee anymore (not too bad, actually), and making homemade breakfasts (this week is granola bars).
- I need to exercise more. My iWatch tells me I got my activity goals twice this week – better than a normal week but nowhere near good enough.
- We’ve deleted Netflix! we only watch it when we’re bored and that is not a positive thing… so it’s gone.
This weeks meals
- Breakfasts were either a yogurt and a banana, or some shop bought tropical cereal.
- Lunches consisted of salads with meats (chicken skewers or lamb koftas)
- Dinners were Chicken filo pie (probably the favourite meal of the week), Pesto Pasta ( a delicious close second), chicken jalfrezi, spaghetti & meatballs and noodles.
That’s all I have for now! I’m going to find a better way to document my week in meals… and hopefully we will have more good news next week!
So, it’s 9.30pm on day 4 of my journey to ‘make better choices’ – and I’m feeling good, cup of tea in hand.
Today I’ve had healthy cereal for breakie, last nights leftovers (Mexican filo pie) for lunch, a yogurt to satisfy that sweet craving and satay noodles for dinner. I’m feeling focussed and happy that I came in under my <1600kcal a day goal.
Today hasn’t been difficult for me at all, maybe because:
- My work day was mega busy, so I didn’t have time to think about snacks!
- We had visitors right away after work, which meant we didn’t eat until 7pm(ish)- keeping me full for the rest of the night
- Each of the three meals I ate were tasty and didn’t leave me wanting something more fulfilling (which happens when I have bland food)
Or maybe it’s just because I am so focussed.
I realise though, at some point I have to try doing some exercise………
Hi there, and welcome to my ‘better choices’ journey.
I’ve struggled with my weight for most of my life. At 14, I was a size 14. At 16, I was a size 16. At 18 I was a size 18. At my biggest I was a 24 and now, depending on where I shop I am between 20/22.
I have tried so many diets: weight watchers, slim fast, slimming world, (heck – yesterday I nearly had hypnotherapy) – they all work, for a while. But if I am really going to do this, and keep it off, I need to change my ways for good. I need to make better choices.
How do I make better choices?
For now, I will have a <1600kcals daily limit and when I crave those bad things, I’m going to ask myself:
This blog is here to keep me accountable, to give me something to look back on and feel proud, and to share my favourite recipes with you. Wish me luck!